Big lump sum to save?

Monday, 29 September 2008 01:04

A reader from Woking has sold her house and has a large amount to put in the bank.

Andy McKechnie, head of sales and marketing for savings at Halifax, tackles the problem.

Sarah asks:

I have a large sum of money from selling my house.

What type of savings account should I put this in, if I want to earn the best possible interest rate?

Andy replies:

There are a huge range of savings accounts in the market, as well as a number of investment products, that may be suitable for you.

I would suggest that you sit down with a qualified Personal Financial Advisor (PFA) to go over all the options available to you.

The right type of account for you will depend on a number of factors, for example access requirements and how often you need to withdraw your money. If you can afford to make limited withdrawals (if any) then a fixed rate account will offer you a high rate of interest. However, if you’d prefer to make regular withdrawals, then an easy access account may be a better option.

If you want to earn the best interest rate, and you can afford to leave your money untouched, then I would suggest looking at fixed rate accounts or an ISA.

Remember, the higher the AER, the greater the return.

If you have a question for Andy, go to the Ask the Savings Expert section.

Or for more information on your savings options go to savings at Halifax

Comments Bubble Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Twitter: My Finances

Join the conversation at #news_myfinances

Newsletter sign up


In addition to the weekly newsletter, which areas of finance would you like to hear from us about:

Tick this box if you would like us to send you promotions from carefully selected third parties.

By signing-up you agree to the terms of use and privacy policy.

sign-up button

Get the latest information on: