Will my holiday be covered if there is political unrest?

Thursday, 24 February 2011 12:14

Emma Banks, our insurance expert from LV, tackles the problem.

Question: I’m planning to go on holiday to Morocco in May but am a little concerned because of the political unrest in north Africa at the moment. Would the average travel insurance policy cover cancellation if, for example, there were protests in Marrakech and it looked like it might become dangerous to be there?

Answer: The travel insurance cancellation cover will kick in if you book a holiday that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) subsequently advises against travelling too. For example, during the unrest in Egypt the FCO advised against travel to certain parts of the country that were affected so anyone who had travel insurance in place and had a holiday booked to the affected area was covered for cancellation. The list is updated regularly and can be found at www.fco.gov.uk. Morocco currently does not appear on the ‘do not travel’ list although there is some useful advice that you may wish to read.

If you have a question for Emma, go to the myfinances.co.uk Ask the Insurance Expert section.

Or for more information on your insurance options go to LV's insurance site.

Comments Bubble Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Twitter: My Finances

Join the conversation at #news_myfinances

Newsletter sign up


In addition to the weekly newsletter, which areas of finance would you like to hear from us about:

Tick this box if you would like us to send you promotions from carefully selected third parties.

By signing-up you agree to the terms of use and privacy policy.

sign-up button

Get the latest information on: