Students must check insurance small print, expert warns

Tuesday, 13 September 2011 02:47

Studying the terms on contents insurance policy is a necessity for university-goers this semester, an expert has warned.

Phil Paterson-Fox, head of home insurance at comparison website, said the fact that average student has a wealth of items makes this type of cover essential.

However, he explained that taking out a new policy is not always the most cost-effective way of making sure undergraduates do not have to shell out thousands of pounds to replace any stolen items.

Mr Paterson-Fox said: "For many families, it may well be possible to provide cover for a child at university under an existing home insurance policy. It is well worth checking the cover available as it can mean you avoid doubling-up on cover. However, it is important that you check the policy terms and the exclusions."

Not all policies will have this cover available and some may only cover one child at a time, meaning siblings going off to university may require different arrangements, he asserted.

The specialist concluded: "There is good value cover available but there are also restrictions and exclusions, so it is worth having a good look at your existing home cover and comparing it with policies specifically designed for students."

Use the comparison tables to find the best deal on contents insurance

Comments Bubble Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Twitter: My Finances

Join the conversation at #news_myfinances

Newsletter sign up


In addition to the weekly newsletter, which areas of finance would you like to hear from us about:

Tick this box if you would like us to send you promotions from carefully selected third parties.

By signing-up you agree to the terms of use and privacy policy.

sign-up button

Get the latest information on: