Student loan for a new career?

Friday, 31 July 2009 01:15

A reader from Northern Ireland is looking at changing careers, and what loan options there are.

Jo Crosse, Halifax and Bank of Scotland personal loans expert, tackles the problem.

Hannah from Belfast asks:

I am 28 and am planning to give up my job as a PA to retrain as a social worker at my local university.

I have no savings so I need to take out a loan to pay for my day-to-day living costs.

Could I take out a student loan?

Jo replies:

Some banks do offer specific professional and career loans if you are studying for a MBA, law or medical qualification, but you may need to have an existing relationship with them to apply.

It may be worth speaking to your own bank first to see if they offer career loans.

If you are returning to full time education you can apply for a student loan through your local government body.

Visit for more criteria on how and where to apply.

If you have a question for Jo, go to the Ask the Loans Expert section.

Or for more information on your loans options go to personal loans at Halifax.

Comments Bubble Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Twitter: My Finances

Join the conversation at #news_myfinances

Newsletter sign up


In addition to the weekly newsletter, which areas of finance would you like to hear from us about:

Tick this box if you would like us to send you promotions from carefully selected third parties.

By signing-up you agree to the terms of use and privacy policy.

sign-up button

Get the latest information on: