How can I diversify my investments?

Thursday, 08 October 2009 01:09

A reader from Lincolnshire wants to spread his investments more widely than a handful of stocks.

Karen Crowshaw, Halifax Bank investments expert, tackles the problem.

David from Grantham asks:

I have £5,000 invested in a FTSE 100 stock, but I would like to diversify my investment.

I am not sure I want the hassle of keeping track of shares of more than one stock.

What should I do?

Karen replies:

You may wish to consider a collective investment which is managed by a professional fund manager, who will buy and sell a number shares on your behalf.

Your money will be pooled with that of other investors in order to spread the cost and provide greater purchasing power.

Tracking the fund’s performance is done by monitoring the unit price. These are listed in good quality newspapers and online.

In order to assess which fund(s) is most appropriate to you, it would be best for you to speak to a Financial Adviser for a no-obligation review.

If you have a question for Karen, go to the Ask the Investments Expert section

Or for more information on your investment options go to investments at Halifax.

Comments Bubble Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Twitter: My Finances

Join the conversation at #news_myfinances

Newsletter sign up


In addition to the weekly newsletter, which areas of finance would you like to hear from us about:

Tick this box if you would like us to send you promotions from carefully selected third parties.

By signing-up you agree to the terms of use and privacy policy.

sign-up button

Get the latest information on: