Can you transfer to a new cash ISA and still invest £7,000 in the tax year?

Tuesday, 17 April 2007 12:00

Is it possible to transfer money to a new mini-cash ISA and still invest £7,000 in a new stocks and shares ISA in the same year?
Ian C asks:
Can I transfer a cash mini ISA to another provider to gain a better interest rate and not use the £3,000 allowance for the cash mini ISA but still open a maxi ISA and still have the full £7,000 allowance?

Christopher Wicks, certified financial planner at The Alexander Beard Group, replied:
You may transfer the mini ISA to another provider and as this is in respect of a previous years allowance it will not affect your entitlement for the current tax year. You are therefore allowed to invest £7,000 into an ISA for the current tax year in addition to this.

Of course, if you invest all £7,000 into the same maxi-ISA you will not then be able to add a further £3,000 to a mini-cash ISA. You need to watch out for this.

For example if you have been paying a regular monthly amount and you make a mini Cash ISA contribution even of £20 this will mean that you may not then make a maxi stocks and shares ISA payment. You also need to remember that the full £7000 investment must be invested in a stocks and shares ISA otherwise the interest will be subject to tax deducted at source.

If you have an ISA question, got to

Comments Bubble Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Twitter: My Finances

Join the conversation at #news_myfinances

Newsletter sign up


In addition to the weekly newsletter, which areas of finance would you like to hear from us about:

Tick this box if you would like us to send you promotions from carefully selected third parties.

By signing-up you agree to the terms of use and privacy policy.

sign-up button

Get the latest information on: